Beware Of The Beauty: 3 Houseplants That Are Hazardous For Toddlers

By Martin B

Incorporating houseplants into your living space is an excellent method of bringing the outdoors inside and admiring their loveliness and advantages. Nevertheless, it’s crucial to recall that not all houseplants are suitable for youngsters and pets.

Source: @huyphan2602/Unsplash

Certain plants can prove poisonous if consumed or even touched, resulting in significant harm. Here are three pretty but toxic houseplants that you should watch out for if you have toddlers in your home.

Peace Lily

Famed for their sophisticated white flowers and polished green leaves, peace lilies are a well-liked houseplant. Nonetheless, these plants possess calcium oxalate crystals that can inflict swelling, burning, and irritation if consumed. In severe cases, peace lily poisoning can cause difficulty breathing and even death.


Dieffenbachia is a tropical houseplant that is prized for its large, variegated leaves and easy care. However, the plant contains needle-shaped crystals of calcium oxalate, which can cause intense pain, swelling, and difficulty breathing if ingested


Philodendrons are a prevalent houseplant valued for their effortless maintenance and extensive, verdant leaves. Nevertheless, this plant comprises calcium oxalate crystals, which can lead to irritation, inflammation, and burning if ingested.

Source: @denimandrain/Unsplash

In case you have a toddler, it’s crucial to be mindful of the possible hazards presented by these and other poisonous houseplants. Ensure that they’re kept out of reach, and enlighten your kids regarding the dangers of interacting with or consuming plants.

If you have any doubts regarding the consumption of a toxic plant by your child, seek immediate medical assistance. While houseplants can be a wonderful addition to your home, it’s important to be aware of their potential dangers.